Leveraging AI to takedown pirated content in order to boost revenue for Content Creators
Digital piracy refers to the illegal act of duplicating, copying, or sharing a digital work without the permission of the copyright holder, a violation of copyright laws. Digital piracy grew out of computer hacking with the popularity of the internet and technology evolving rapidly, more and more people is choosing to consume their content online. Whether it's from a mobile phone, tablet or smart TV, online digital consumption is increasing and becoming the people‟s choice for accessing film, TV, music, books, software and games.
Piracy comes in different forms. Each of the forms have a potential to harm enterprises and impact brand safety.
1. Counterfeiting : Illegal duplication, distribution and/or sale of copyrighted material with the intent of imitating the copyrighted product.
2. Internet Piracy : Software/Content being downloaded from the Internet. The same purchasing rules apply to online software/content purchases as for those bought in compact disc format or streamed online.
Common Internet piracy techniques are: Websites that make software/content available for free download or in exchange for others. Internet auction sites that offer counterfeit or out-of-channel software/content. Peer-to-peer networks that enable unauthorised transfer of copyrighted programs/content.
3. End User Piracy : This occurs when an individual reproduces copies of software/content without authorisation. These include:
Using one licensed copy to install a program/content on multiple computers. Copying discs for installation or distribution of software/content. Taking advantage of upgrade offers without having a legal copy of the version to be upgraded. Acquiring academic or other restricted or non-retail software/content without a proper license Swapping discs in or outside the workplace
4. Client- Server Overuse : This type of piracy occurs when too many users on a network are using a central copy of a program/content at the same time. If you have a local-area network and install programs/content on the server for several people to use, you have to be sure your license entitles you to do so. If you have more users than allowed by the license, that's "overuse."
5. Hard-Disk Loading :This occurs when a business sells new computers with illegal copies of software loaded onto the hard disk to make the purchase of the machines more attractive.
Effect of Piracy on Business Revenue and Performance?
Trust : Why should consumers pay when they can download the software/content for free?
Revenue : Pirates share and download your software/content for free leading to severe income loss.
Brand Image : Once the content is available for free, brand image and exclusivity goes for a toss!
PiracyIQ by Com Olho
We leverage state of the art machine based algorithms to takedown pirated versions of your software/content. Linear Discriminant Analysis, topic modelling to extract public endpoints to takedown illegal content.
Learn more : https://www.comolho.com/piracyiq
Content prepared by : Shweta Choubey, Summer Intern at Com Olho.
Note : Content summarised above might be sourced from different public websites in order to summarise the rising menace of digital piracy.